Monday, May 3, 2010

Kinky Curly Review

So, I don't have that many natural curly hair followers. If I do, then this is for you. It's also kinda for googlers.

 On the top, we have Kinky Curly (heretofore referred to as KC) Conditioner (top) and gel (bottom). The conditioner, Knot Today is really great, all natural, and super easy to work with. Like I mentioned in this post  about their charity contributions, I find that the conditioner works just as well considerably watered down. This is good to know because it is SO hard to get a hold of, here in Winter Park. Only my nearby Whole Foods carries it, but it flies off of the shelves whenever they get it in. Come on, ladies, SAVE SOME FOR ME. Also, paying shipping on conditioners is crippling, and this retails for around $11. I use it solely as a leave-in; it would be too expensive to use all of my nice conditioners as cowash materials. Just... rinsing that money down the drain.... 
 Last summer, when I first tried out KCKT, I declined on buying the gel. I had a twa and really wasn't into attempting shingling or anything on it- seeing how poor my results were with conditioner. I decided to have a go at it again, now that my hair's around six inches. Now online, at Curlmart.com , you can find the Custard in 8 and 16 oz sizes, for $17.00 and $30.00. But at Whole Foods, they ONLY sell the large size. All in all, this makes sense. But it kinda hurt, springing for $29.99 hair gel. : / 

So. After watching a couple of videos, and DCing my hair, I cowashed with my big ol' bottle of Aussie Moist, rinsed that alll the way out, and ran some Knot Today through my hair, after twist-drying it with an old t-shirt. I pulled out my Denman D3, but didn't really use it for curl definition. I don't know if it's because of my type, but this never helps me more than just conditioner would. So. Anyway. Starting at the nape I raked a VERY SMALL amount of gel from roots to ends. By small I mean barely pressed my hands into the gel until I came up with a slick layer on my fingers, not a gob. My hair hung and curled up very well, though by the time I got to my crown I felt like I needed a bit more to get the same effect. Here's what I ended up with- I clipped the roots in the front to help it not revert so much. Here's my hair fresh from a shower- it's super fluffy because I haven't put the KCKT in it yet.


And here we have my hair with the gel fully applied. It's not that white- just shiny.


Ignore that frizzy looking ness over on my left side. It's not really frizzy. The curls were well defined, shrunk up a little, and cute. On the bad side, my hair felt crunchy, even though I used so little. That's really unnerving to me because I just got over protein overload, or hair crunchyitis. The curls lasted for the whole week, though I was dying to wash them out- the crunchiness was killing me. Although, after a lot of 'hands in hair' action, they softened up- bit when I grabbed a handful of hair and squeezed, there was still some crunch, and that made me antsy.
day 3 or 4
 Each day I'd spray it with some conditioner and water, and that was all it really needed. I might try it again, rinsing it through in the shower. I was worried the first morning after, because it was sleep-smushed and I didn't know if I could fluff it without messing up the curl- but not to worry, it sprang up just fine. My hair curls up pretty okay otherwise, and honestly I'd rather have frizz than crunchy hair. But I still think it's worth it, because the jar is so. big. It will be particularly useful when my hair is longer. But if you can't abide by crunchy hair, don't waste your money. Otherwise, I would totally suggest it.

5 comments:

  1. I don't have loose natural hair...I have sisterlocks. I still appreciate these type post. I'm all about natural hair. My daughter does youtube videos on natural hair she it good at taking care of natural hair and styling. Check her out prettydimples01

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe did you get a lot of people asking you what polish that was? Stella is one of my favorites....
    I've seen your daughter's vids. She is fashionable and knowledgeable- you must be so proud! I love all her little accessories.

    I have a friend with regular locs, she says it's kinda hard to find a good, light moisturizer that won't buildup or leave film in them. Do you find that this is the case? If so I get the feeling that there aren't enough products out there for naturals that are loc'd.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tell me..did this flake up at all while you used it? I hate when gel flakes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It did *not*. It really didn't act up at all. Save for the crunch :/

    ReplyDelete

You know the deal. Behave. I don't moderate but I will delete if needed.