Sunday, April 11, 2010

Drugstore polishes :) HT: Parabens

 I don't discriminate by brand with my polishes, I discriminate by color. Once I want a color, I want that one and not something 'close'... most of the time- it depends how bad I want it. I still don't think I'll ever be able to settle for Catherine the Grape, knowing that you can still get your hands on Peel Me a Gobi Grape if you try hard and want to spend the dough.

The same day I went and got Miconazole Nitrate and the Aussie Moist conditioner, I picked these up.



That's from left to right, Wet n' Wilds Night Prowl, Caribbean Frost and 234 Jade, and Borghese STELLARE NOTTE. I.. whooo! Good god I love duochromes and ANYTHING that looks like a black pearl. I'm excited to wear this one, but I'm gonna make myself wait, because I'm a masochist. I have worn Night Prowl- it's a purple glitter, but that doesn't come out too well in this pic. That's Samus' leg in the background. I'll post swatches pretty soon!

Health Tip: Parabens

I once read, in a comment somewhere related to beauty products, a girl gleefully explain that she loved parabens. "I don't want no moldy lotion!" ...Sad. I'm sure you've heard some of the hype about parabens, and personally, yes, I know that they serve a purpose. But just like so many other chemicals, they are the cheapest way companies tend to deal with the problem, and they are harmful. Parabens act like estrogens in the body. Sure, we all have estrogen. But we shouldn't have extra. On top of everything else, not all estrogens are the same, and because these are alien estrogens, they don't behave the same way in our bodies. They are abundant in beauty and body products, which is really a shame. By the time a woman gets ready in the morning, she has exposed herself to hundreds of harmful chemicals already. High concentrations of estrogens have been found in breast cancer tumors, highlighting estrogen's negative impacts on the disease. Parabens have been found to, in a way, feminize men's reproductive organs enough to leave them with low sperm counts; they have also been found to be a culprit in the early development of young girls- breast development, periods before the poor things are even 10, acne, weight (the hormones in milk are also a big part of this issue). 
 As far as the 'mold' issue goes.... I have used natural, paraben free lotions and conditioners for years, and they have never gone bad. Never smelled sour. Never been moldy. There are other germ-fighting ingredients companies can use, they are just too cheap and unconcerned with the health of the public to use them. One thing worth noting: if you tend to read labels and are watching out for parabens, they show up with the following prefixes: Methyl, Ethyl, Propyl, Butyl, Isobutyl and Benzyl. However, do not be fooled by companies trying to go undercover! 'Paraben' is synonymous with Hydroxybenzoate. It's a trap!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the info on parabens. You gotcha self a nice little haul :)

    nailsbeautiqued.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for this post (and for taking the time at ALU to mention that not everyone's "neutral" nail is the same. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh of course! Haha, I wondered if anyone saw that. I know people can mean no harm, but that doesn't mean that it's not wrong. My brown skin is flesh, too! It sucks that nail companies don't think of that when making their neutral/french shades :p I had to franken myself a mannequin hands color.

    ReplyDelete

You know the deal. Behave. I don't moderate but I will delete if needed.